Monday, April 24, 2017

End of module self evaluation


Hannah Rottger
End of module evaluation OUGD501

Within COP2 my willingness to dig deep and search for the right extracts has been a learning curve and an enjoyable practice. I typically enjoy writing about subjects not as obvious and although it would have been easier doing a more written about subject, finding the sources was very beneficial in improving my searching skills, especially in the library, borrowing around 5 books at a time.

Throughout the essay, what intrigued me was all different mediums in which shock tactics were used blatantly or not, which reveals a lot about the advertising industry and how they make consumers recall their products. Looking in to United Colors of Benetton in more detail and seeing different opinions such as Saunders cynical outlook was also very interesting and built up an unconventional tone within my essay making it more interesting to write.

My practical inspires me to look in to behind the scenes of brands and to do my research, and my minor research on Lush cosmetics has pushed me to want to look in to their ethos more as it seems to be in line with my beliefs also, making it a potential company to research for my dissertation next year.

Arranging concepts for photoshoots has also been something that I thoroughly enjoyed planning, despite being behind due to my initial model bailing, I feel the concept held it’s success. Retrospectively, I wish I did more with this time of uncertainty and made prototypes of other focuses other than the beauty industry. However, my practical supports my essays essence that typically the consumer will avoid blatant shock tactics in fear of being guilt tripped, but how mine is styled in the Adbusters style creates a twist that takes them from vanity to shock.

Looking in to my topic for dissertation, I didn’t want to just look at one idea so looked in the library for as many books as I could to locate the best extracts and which topic I considered would have the most depth and backup as it is a lot longer than in second year. I look forward to getting in to the dissertation, and feel more prepared now that this year I have really taken on board feedback and how to Harvard reference and write correctly, such as not appearing biased or opinionated in my writing which I usually struggle with.

OUGD501 has been useful in stepping up my writing and research skills and I have found the lectures thoroughly enjoyable. In future I really need to create as many prototypes as I can and expand my research methods for my dissertation by getting face to face source information. Focusing my research on an element of graphic design I really enjoy will hopefully propel my skills further, creating more prototypes and sharpening my contextual research up which I also feel isn’t up to scratch. Overall the module has been very beneficial to reaching the right standard of academic writing and research.

No comments:

Post a Comment