Thursday, April 21, 2016

Ad campaign plan

I have been rattling my brain of how I can successfully include the spirit of my essay through advertising and have had the ideas of cut out dolls/blue and pink/stereotype switch but with much confusion of how to portray them in the correct way with impact. I realised it needs to be clear to others and if it isn't clear to myself then it would be unsuccessful.



The ad that has come to mind and is very famous but the reality pretty much discarded after WW2 was the 'We can do it' poster encouraging women to take on men's roles why they were away at war. If i were to recreate this as a modern version, either for women with the tagline 'we can still do it' highlighting the disregard of the women's effort and inequality brought back when the men returned from war. I think this would be a pretty powerful campaign as the pose and poster is well known and the familiarity will make audiences connect to it more, and the simple image and tagline are bold and direct enough to get across my point that they were encouraged to take control when the men weren't here and did well at it, why was this completely disregarded? Especially as we are nearly a century on. These could be ads for UN Women or similar organisations, or a made up campaign to give it the backbone it needs to be for gender in advertising as social advertisements on equality all have the organisation small in the corner to give the person seeing it a directory to help create change, but allowing the advertisement to be strong and direct message to stick in the persons mind.

This could also be done one ad a woman and another a man, with the tagline 'we can all do it'. This would be a very positive message in comparison to my initial poster mockup which is probably quite aggressive and wouldn't sit well with all women for lifestyle/religious reasons. This sort of modernised campaign will give empowerment and motivation, and reflects the hopeful and positive tone of voice of my essay that the gender gap will lessen over the coming years.

What I love about the Riveter poster is its bold straight to the point message, strong stance of the working woman whilst still with the touch of femininity and elegancy which I want to uphold in my work. Femininity is to be celebrated but strength and abilities not underestimated because of it. For example, in my essay when I discuss quotes from Hollywood superstars getting annoyed at belittling comments because they are a woman, asking all the intellectual questions to the male actor.

This American propaganda poster to boost worker morale was actually seen very little in wartime but was rediscovered in the 1980's, and has been used for feminist campaigns and other political issues due to its clear and direct meaning. 'Feminists and others have seized upon the uplifting attitude and apparent message to remake the image into many different forms, including self empowerment, campaign promotion, advertising, and parodies.' (source Wikipedia)


 
A standard recreation of the poster, due to Beyonce's superstardom she has the power to implement these ethics.

This Malala graffiti version has the deeper meaning and effect addressing modern day issues that strike us all, and it has the essence of no superficial money making aim being put up but done to promote change and address serious issues. My posters would be put up for these purposes, not done to promote a company.


Having multicultural context and the coming together of women from all over the world is very successful in modernising the original design and empowering women from all walks of life which is extremely important when it comes to the issue of gender equality as it is needing to continue spreading across the world where women are still treated as second class citizens which is a point I made in my essay.


There have been other versions of this poster but not many that go beyond the original tagline and I think this could be taken further. Many mimic the same style as the woman in the picture but I would want to focus on todays fashion and not look to the past, as I want this to move forward and connect with the younger generations to ensure this rise of gender equality continues to soar. I want to also make the point that gender stereotypes are out of date/old fashioned and to get images in this style of dress would go against that point. This was created nearly a century ago and deserves a remaking as it is such a powerful poster which I don't want for the purposes of propaganda, but social change.


I want the tagline to have this sort of effect, shocking people in to getting with the times and how old fashioned their views are in a direct and clear manner

No comments:

Post a Comment