Thursday, October 19, 2017

COP Practical initial ideas

As discussed within my proposal presentation, creating a zine ( in homage to classic riot grrl zines of the 90s I have looked at throughout my reading) that contain excerpts through quotes obtained by speaking and contacting female artists is the ideal outcome alongside my critical writing as it relates directly to the content of the writing. Creating this would also be in the true style of a zine, a 'safe space' for women artists to speak freely about their views and experiences in the creative industry as a woman in the modern day. This is what I want to find out, the state of the gender gap currently. Although this is the ultimate goal, obtaining this much information has already proved slow due to non responses and not being able to get an answer at networking events I have attended so far.


Today I will contact more female artists, such as in last years PPP in which I got 3 really great interviews from artists I admire. However, a project I planned to do after handing in COP was to create posters in the style of See Red Women's Workshop and Guerilla Girls influenced by the research I had obtained for COP, making modern posters reflecting the current situations and struggles. However, this could be a second option to produce alongside the critical writing piece. Need to discuss in COP tutorials.





 


A poster from this year, still seem to be similar issues
Working in the style of Guerilla Girl's posters especially as they weren't expecting to still be making an impact beyond 5 years and yet are still going! Whichever practical project I choose I want to represent those I have researched and spoke to to represent the struggles of todays gender gap within the creative industry (which I haven't found the answer for just yet)

Artists to contact- Robin Eisenberg (as she responded last year), Harleyanj (responded last year), Girl Gang (not yet replied), Girls That Gig, OK Collective, Polyester zine, Mushpit zine, Maisie Cousins...

No comments:

Post a Comment